It started with the Czech-Russian game in the Olympics. I was rooting for the Czechs only because David Krecji of the Bruins played on the team. He played a great game as did both teams, but the Russians dominated to win 4-2. For any girls that may have been watching the game, the commentators made a point to note that when Ovechkin went into the corner to get a puck he was looking around to see where his teammates and opponents were, so he knew what he was going to do with the puck before he got it (he made a great centering pass to his teammate who scored). This is a point we have made to the girls all season. The commentators also noted that at one point the Czech defender was only watching Ovechkin in the offensive zone rather than "keeping his head on a swivel". This allowed another Russian player to sneak in front and pick up a rebound goal. Hockey lessons from the Olympic teams.
The next great game of the day was the Comets versus Lexington/Bedford. Our girls came out shooting, and scoring. We outpassed, outskated, and just all-around out played the other team to earn a 6-3 victory. Having all of our high school girls back was great and the whole team stepped up their game. I hope we can continue to see that kind of effort and results as we play a few tough teams in the coming weeks.
The last game was the US-Canada men's game. Wow. What great hockey. Both teams played well and the US just had a few breaks come their way. It was such a great game I would have been fine regardless of who won, but it was nice for the US to come out on top. One thing I like about this hockey is that everyone is playing full out for their country, but they're playing against teammates in many cases and it keeps the hockey hard but clean. (I didn't stay up for the Swedish-Finnish game but I'm sure that was a great game as well).
The US women's team will be playing next in the semi-finals. They, and the Canadian Women's team, have been playing some GREAT hockey and I expect they'll both go far.
All evidence to the contrary not withstanding, I am not a complete hockey head but I think it's a great game and a great youth sports experience, and I appreciate seeing it played well, with skill, passion, and sportsmanship.
I encourage our players to watch this hockey. It's both instructive and inspiring.
No comments:
Post a Comment